Holy Cross Exaltation Roman Catholic Church in Malta (Rozentova)
The church was built in 1780. The church has three altars, a painting "Christ on the Cross and St. Maria Magdalene", and very old and unique feretrons (small altars) have been preserved.
The first church in Malta (Rozentova) was a small wooden chapel, built in 1780 at the expense of the nobleman A. Falkerzāms. It was located in the village of Solomenci, 2 km beyond Malta, near Garkalnie. There was also a cemetery on the hill near this chapel, the chapel was demolished and moved to Rozentova. It was very small, so in 1842 it was extended, and later in 1906, during the time of the dean Felix Ruiko, it was further enlarged with the support of the Polish nobleman Bogomoļca - the owner of the Rozentova manor. This double extension can be clearly seen in the church ceiling. The last time the church was renovated was during the time of the dean Jāzeps Turlays in 1985. Solomenci was a very populated place in ancient times. Now only a few Catholic families live there. There are no longer any signs of either the church or the cemetery.
The church has three altars, all of them made of wood. The high altar has a statue of the Virgin Maria and above it – a large Cross. This altar has beautiful wood carving elements. The altar of the Virgin Maria, on which stands a statue of the Mystical Rose, and above the altar is a sacred image of Christ the King. The church also has an altar of the Heart of Jesus and next to it – a statue of Saint Joseph. Above the altar is a painting of Saint George. The church extensions can be clearly seen in the church ceiling. The second building houses the organ and choir rooms, the third – only high wooden plank ceilings. The church is 24 m long and 9 m wide. Very old and peculiar feretrons (small altars) have been preserved in the church. One of them is made of wood, on one side of which is depicted Saint George on a horse, and on the other the Most Holy Trinity. Such a feretron is the only one in Latgale. The second feretron is also old and peculiar. On one side of it is a painting of St. George, and on the other - a painting of Our Lady of the Scopularies. The third feretron is a painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa in a gilded vestment.
There is a brick fence with iron bars around the church. When entering the church garden through the gate, there is a bell tower on the left, built of bricks on a stone foundation. There are 3 bells in the bell tower. This tower is an architectural monument of local importance. There has been a wooden mission cross in the churchyard since 1926. On the eastern side of the church, behind the church fence, there were several old cemeteries in the ditch. There was also a cemetery for German soldiers who fell in World War I with a half-built monument with a German swastika carved into the stone (it was called the Iron Division Cross). This monument was almost as high as a two-story house and stone vaults were built under it, which were intended as a chapel for the owner of Zosna Manor. Currently, only the foundations have survived. (Maltas parish council 2005, ER).
| Address | Rozentovas iela 4, Malta, Maltas pagasts, Rēzeknes novads |
| Coordinates | 56.341475 ; 27.183191 |
| Phone | +371 29179427, +371 646 34377 |
| Homepage | www.malta.lv |