Struzani Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Parish Church
In the 1930s, the Russian Tsar government liquidated the Vecstružāni Roman Catholic parish and annexed it to the Gaigalava parish, but at the beginning of the 20th century, the parish was restored and a church was built. In 1954, the church burned down, but in 1958 the church was restored and consecrated, but the Soviet government did not allow it to build towers.
Stružani was owned by the Riki nobles from 1568 (until 1825). The first church, according to Gustav Manteuffel (a Baltic German/Polish publicist, historian, ethnographer, folklorist and publisher. Founder of Latgalian secular literature, member of the Art History Section of the Krakow Academy of Sciences), was built in 1780 by Dominik de Riki. In 1864, it was demolished due to its age, and the territory of the Stružani Catholic parish was annexed to the Byków parish. Only after the First World War did it become an independent parish again.
Immediately after the First World War, Bikova's deputy, Kazimir Dovgialovics, began construction of a new wooden church in Sherjans. And the construction works of the church were closed in 1923 by Vincent Jusko. In 1954, however, the church burned.
The existing wooden church was built in 1958 by the Strūžāni dean Pēteris Vucins, which was consecrated in the same year by Bishop Pēteris Strods. From 1958-1968, dean Vaclavs Ereļs purchased three artistically embroidered processional flags, made a silver ciborium, and carried out repairs. From 1978-1980, dean Donāts Puncuļs carried out repairs and restoration works.
The parish of the Strūžāni Catholic Church was already located next to the old (first) wooden church. When in 1865 the nobleman Delvits, who was a Lutheran by faith, demolished the Catholic church and built a Lutheran church there, the parish was adapted for the needs of the school.
After the First World War, a Catholic church was built again in Stružanis, and the old rectory returned to the Catholic parish. After the Second World War, the rectory was again expropriated, it was not repaired in time and, having become roofless, fell into ruin. Three years after the Catholic church burned down (in 1957), a woman donated her house to the church, where she began to hold services. And after the construction of the current church, the house became a rectory. (Cakuls, 1997)
| Address | Vecstrūžāni, Gaigalavas pagasts, Rēzeknes novads |
| Coordinates | 56.7441880; 27.1778735 |
| Phone | +371 64644537 |