Lipuški Old Believers Prayer House
The church was built in 1904. In 1893, Lipuški had the largest Old Believer congregation in the Baltics.
Lipuški is located on the southern shore of Lake Rāzna, where Old Believers have settled since ancient times, as evidenced by the old Old Believer cemeteries in the area. The current Lipuški Old Believer prayer house was built in 1904. Over the years, it has suffered from robbers, so real icons are no longer placed in the rooms, but photo reproductions. Until 1905, churches could only be built in such a way that they would not differ from an ordinary house from the outside, that is, without bells, crosses and domes. The Lipuški prayer house was also built as a residential building, but rumors began to spread that religious services were held here. The local authorities wanted to close this house, but they failed because the Old Believers placed a picture of the Tsarina next to the icons, which embarrassed them and did not allow them to close the house. (Platpire, 2006)
Until 1905, churches could only be built so that they did not differ from an ordinary house from the outside, that is, without bells, crosses and domes. The Lipuški prayer house was also built as a residential wooden log house. The prayer house has 2 towers, which originally had as many as 6 small bells (1911), cast at the Samgin factory in Moscow. Currently, only three have survived in the church tower.
The church has suffered several thefts, therefore losing part of its valuable heritage. The accent of the interior decoration is currently the luxurious metal chandelier, which is complemented by enamel and crystal pendants. The Lipuški prayer house was built in the building forms characteristic of the Old Believers, where the women's and men's sides are strictly separated..
| Address | Lipuški, Mākoņkalna pagasts, Rēzeknes novads |
| Coordinates | 56.2912359; 27.4343904 |
| Phone | +371 64646741 |